The car air filter affects the consumption and the life of the engine, and you can check it yourself or change it in a few minutes by following these steps.
How to Change the Air Filter
Guide to changing the car air filter
The air filter is responsible for preventing dirt from entering the engine. Its function is important and if it does not work the dirt properly can enter the engine accelerating its wear and increasing the consumption of gasoline.
It is advisable to check the condition of the air filter every 6,000 km or 6 months (whichever comes first), and it must be replaced between 12,000 and 18,000 km (8,000 to 12,000 miles), depending on the car model and above all Of the level of air pollution.
Reviewing it is very simple, and you can do it yourself.
- First, place the air filter inside the motor of the car that contained in a cabinet or plastic box usually black.
In new models rectangular and be located on the sides of the engine, near the headlights or wheels and is rectangular. In older models, the air filter is located above the engine and is usually round. In both cases, a plastic cabinet should be found.
- Once the container box located, we must remove the air filter inside.
For this, we remove the cover that is almost always attached by hooks or clips to be able to be removed manually, in very few cases the cover is fastened with screws, in which case we will need a screwdriver to remove them.
Once the lid removed, we observe how the filter is located and extract it.
- The air filter consists of paper with multiple folds. To control the cleaning of the filter, we must check that paper for dust, dirt, insects, etc.
- If dirt stains cover much of the paper by preventing the entrance of clean air to the engine it is time to change the air filter for an equal one, it is requested by the make and model of the car.
If the filter is still able to use it, it is convenient to clean it by injecting air under pressure from a distance that does not damage the paper in the opposite direction in the air through the paper to enter the engine.
- To finish we take the new air filter or the old one in conditions, and we put it in the container box in the same position in which it was before removing it (usually enters only one way), and we cover it adjusting the screws or placing the hooks.