Driving an automatic car is, in principle, simpler than a manual transmission car. However, the lack of personal habit and even the lack of a tradition in this type of driving can cause you to make mistakes that will make the control of the vehicle more complicated. To help you remedy these potential problems, at uptodate.com, we give you a series of tips on how to drive an automobile.
1. Our first recommendation on how to drive an automobile is to read carefully the instruction manual of your vehicle, as it is customary for manufacturers to give you some advice. There are several types of automatic transmission cars, and you may have some specification as to the handling that you should know to extend its life.
2. As you know, your car does not have the clutch pedal. If you were used to driving a car, this could be a problem for you from the point of view of ergonomics, especially if you spend a lot of time driving each day. Good advice on how to drive an automobile is that, before starting, place your left foot on the footrest so that you adopt a comfortable and unforced posture. Avoid at all times, take the raised foot as you can cause muscle pain.
You know that you only have the acceleration and brake pedals and since it is impossible that you need to use them at the same time, use the right foot to use both, so that the left is always at rest.
3. Unable to handle the gears to control the strength of the car, you may have the feeling that the car is running alone or you are about to drive an automatic car. To solve this, you must know that you can use the brake pedal so that the car automatically selects shorter gears. Anyway, you must be aware that an automatic transmission car is perfectly prepared to adapt to the driving, so you should ignore this feeling of lack of control.
4. In situations of low adherence, when it comes to knowing how to drive an automobile, you have to check if your car has winter mode or similar. In case you do not have this option, the best alternative is to circulate at reduced speed, always respecting the normal traffic.
5. As you know, in your automatic car the gear lever has the following positions:
- D (Drive). To start and circulate.
- P (Parking). When you park the car.
- R (Reverse). Circular reversing.
- N (Neutral). Deadpoint.
In addition, you can have other options on the lever to drive your car, marked with the numbers “1”, “2” and “3”. They are intended to be used as low gears, for special situations such as a very high slope or a fast acceleration. You do not need them to move from position D to P, that is, to stop the car when you drive normally.
6. To start the automatic car, the position of the lever must be kept in the “P”, some models even do not allow the ignition if it is not this way. Now to start the ride, press the brake and place it in the “D”, then release the pedal very gently. When making a short stop, such as a traffic light, simply keep the lever position on the “D” next to the brake pedestrian.