Puff pastry is one of the most difficult techniques, but also useful as it layers, in both sweet and savory doughs, pastries, cakes, cakes, desserts, hors d’oeuvres, empanadas and a myriad of recipes.
How to Make Puff Pastry
Puff pastry is a mass that is characterized by layers, which are formed by the multiple turns and stretching that is given to the dough. The grease that is placed between the layers allows the heat to melt at the time of baking and to release steam that will raise the layers on top of each other, expanding the puff pastry mass, making it light and crunchy.
To make the puff pastry dough, we will need:
- 1 kg of flour.
- 500 cc of water.
- 60 gr of lard.
- 2 teaspoons salt.
- 800 gr of margarine or shortening (fat).
Preparation of the puff pastry
- First, we prepare the filling by placing the flour on the counter, and making a hole in the middle we are placing the salt, water and 60 gr of butter in pieces. Mix gradually with a spoon and then knead by hand on a smooth surface until a smooth, smooth, dry, non-sticky mass and a medium between hard and soft. We form a ball and let it rest 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- It is important at all times to avoid manipulating the dough too much since it is very delicate because it contains a lot of butter, which could be cut.
- After 15 minutes, we take the ball of mass and stretch it to simulate an open four-pointed star. In this way it will be easier to carry out the next step, which will be to place the rest of the butter, margarine or whatever we have chosen in the center, and then close it completely in order to avoid leaks.
- An even simpler option consists of stretching the puff pastry in the shape of a rectangle and spreading the butter across the surface.
- After placing the butter, either greased on the rectangle or on the center of the star, we must stretch the dough until it reaches a thickness of about 8-10 millimeters. Here it is important to try to prevent the lard from coming out of the dough . For this it is necessary not to crush the dough, but to work it gently, flouring the kneading stick and the table to prevent it from sticking and breaking, but without placing too much flour.
- Once this is done we move on to the next step, which will be to perform the turns or folds.
How to make puff pastry doughs
It is a technique by which the puff pastry is stretched and folded several times so that in each operation the number of layers is multiplied, forming the texture of the puff pastry.
There are different types of turns, turns or folds:
- Simple turn:
The dough is stretched with the kneading or roller until a rectangle of approximately 60×30 cm is obtained. Fold the left end just to the center of the dough and fold over the other end, so that it is this way with 3 floors or “e”
- Double spin:
The dough is stretched in the same way (60cm x 30cm) and the two ends are folded inwards so that they almost touch the center of the dough. Then fold it on itself so that it results in 4 layers.
- Triple turn:
It arises from the combination of a single side and a double side.
In this way, by applying two simple turns and two double turns and allowing the refrigerator to stand for 15 minutes between turns and turns, we will obtain a mass with multiple layers , which can be appreciated after cooking as a tasty and attractive puff pastry.