As its name indicates, its work is based on the filtration of physical elements of the air or fluids like oil and fuel.They are essential for the operation of the car and allow filtering of impurities that can reach outside the engine and thus lengthen the life of our car. In the vehicles are mounted of several types filters:
Types of Car Air Filters
Different Types of Car Air Filters
- Oil filter. Its mission is to purify the engine oil, eliminating the iron chips and impurities that are created during its operation. There are two kinds; Metal filters or paper filters. It is generally recommended to replace it every 15,000 km (but may vary depending on the manufacturer) since over time they will lose their filtering qualities, which could cause serious damage to the engine.
2. Air filter. Its function is to avoid the entry of solid particles from the outside air into the car inside the engine. It is usually paper and replaced at every maintenance interval specified by the manufacturer. Failure to replace such filter can lead to loss of power of the vehicle.
3. Fuel filters. It is responsible for retaining the particles deposited in the fuel (water, dirt …) to prevent the elements of the fuel system from being damaged. It can be both metallic and paper and varies its constitution according to the type of fuel of the vehicle (diesel or gasoline).
* For vehicles with diesel engines should be replaced every 60,000 km(depending on manufacturer).
* In vehicles of gasoline is usually without maintenance, reason why it would not be necessary to change it (unless otherwise indicated by the manufacturer)
3. Cabin filter or anti-pollen filter. It prevents particles (dust or pollen) from entering the cabin from outside. Some include active charcoal to remove bad odors. Its construction is of paper and the substitution is realized generally every 15,000 km (but it can vary according to manufacturer). If the filter is clogged, you will notice poor air quality as well as poor air conditioning or heating effect.